1:72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIa LR

Airfix A02010 + 3D-Kits 72-C002

I probably know what you think- “Another Spitfire? Not again...” But stay with me, I'll try not to bore you to death. The embarrassing truth is, that I never built a miniature of this iconic machine before. Yup, shame on me. So not really “another”, for me at least.

Couple of years ago, when Airfix released its new tool 1:72 Spitfire Mk.I/IIa, I decided to deal with that glaring omission in my modelling life. The kit from 2012 seemed to be a perfect tool for that. I wanted to build an early mark I as my first Spitfire, and here you go- everything was in the box: two-blade prop, early type canopy, appropriate decals... When it came out I grabbed it without hesitation and started working. During the build my original plan changed completely, I messed up more than once, and abandoned the build for no reason at all for years. Eventually however I built it. But let's start from the beginning.

Build report

Sorry, full build article will be published in one of the scale modelling magazines, so no SBS this time. Instead- couple of assorted in-progress photos.

Finished model

The model depicts long range Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIa UM-D of 152 Squadron RAF (around August 1941). This machine, P8448, was founded by NAFFI canteen workers, hence the world play in its name: "Counter Attack".

Comments

Feel free to comment. You can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Disqus account. Or without all that, just state your name and check "I'd rather post as a guest" option when it appears.